Friday, June 7, 2013

PALE SKIN IN & SUN DAMAGED SKIN OUT



MOSTLY LADIES & SOME GENTS... Sun kissed skin your obsession? This post is for you. Inspired by New York Times article and recent mega sunburn induced by my own acts of stupidity, I am here to inform you your pale/fair skin is beautiful. I know there is a major hype on the summer tan but is it really worth the damage? I have heard over and over "I'll be ugly when I'm old anyway so why not just be beautifully tanned now while I'm young?" Heard that? We need a serious attitude adjustment when it comes to tanned skin because 1. beauty isn't defined by the color of your skin & 2. skin cancer is becoming more prevalent and despite the 'I'm invincible' idea that some hold of themselves yes, it can happen to you.

I highly recommend reading this article by Roni Caryn Rabin published by NYT. Lack of time or motivation to read the article.... I will kindly highlight the major points for you.

 
+ Studies show that some types of sunscreen have not been protecting our skin from UVA rays, only from UVB rays. New regulations on sunscreen are out. Look for "broad spectrum protection" labeling before you buy. This means it protects you from both types of rays. 

+ Apply heavy amounts and repeat every two hours.

+ Most dangerous hours to be in the sun are 10a.m. to 2p.m.

+ Sunscreen products can claim to be water resistant but NOT waterproof.

find the article here

No comments:

Post a Comment