Tuesday, July 30, 2013

letters from my heart: the truth about moving

via


This blog series I started earlier this summer and so far have only posted one topic. Today I want to explain what is on my heart with the topic of moving. Traveling and living in places other than where I grew up has always been something that is on my heart. These desires are placed there by God and I believe what I am doing with my life is what God wants of me. For those of you who don't know I will be moving back to Texas for a job this Wednesday.

For me, moving away the first time was a dream come true. *Moving away the first time was this past January to Houston for student teaching. I lived there from January til June and came home for the summer. I took a job in Houston as a 6th grade Language Arts teacher that will start here in August. As I left my family on this adventure it was all so new and exciting. As I said my goodbyes to my family I didn't really even cry. It wasn't until two months later that it hit me. I went through the first 8 weeks of student teaching on cloud 9. I loved every second of it. I thought it was perfect and at the time in my mind I was staying in Texas to teach.

The decision was made to fly home for my spring break to visit my family. I arrived and was greeted at the airport by my mom and friend Moriah. The week made me realize how homesick I was. Not only was I homesick, I was physically sick too during the time home. I left my family at the airport feeling like a dark tunnel of sadness was covering me in. As soon as I got back to Houston I was incredibly homesick. The kind of sadness where you can't function. That was what I was up against. After getting back into the swing of my new Texas life I began to enjoy it again and I reached out and made some new friends.

In March I was presented with two teaching job offers and was asked to make a decision quickly. If I would have been presented with these opportunities earlier on in the first 8 weeks I would have jumped right on it. However, after being homesick I wasn't sure what to do. I prayed a lot in the few days that I had to make my decision. With the help of countless conversations with close friends and family about my decision I came to the conclusion that it was best to give it a go than to regret not trying. I can always move home if I don't like it but I may always regret not staying. < That was the major conclusion from all points of view. I know for certain that regrets are something I try to live without.

I made the trip back to Iowa at the beginning of June and have spent this summer at home with my family and friends. Being around everyone for the past two months has made me realize how sad I am to go back to Texas. Don't get me wrong, in my heart I really do want to be there. I know I'm doing what I've always dreamed of but I never imagined how hard it would be. When I used to think about moving I always thought about how fun it would be and homesickness never even crossed my mind. After moving away I know differently now. I know that as I go back it will be a transition. I will be homesick but it will only be a building block for my strength. As much as I love my family these are the things I have to do for myself to feel fulfilled.

I know that this experience will be one in a lifetime for me and I am so grateful to have that. I am also so grateful for my family for the support. Without them my dreams would not come true. So a big thanks to my parents.

Keep coming back to read about my adventures in Texas! 

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of your courage! I know how hard it is to move half way across the country from your family to a city and state where you don't know anyone and don't have any sense of home. It will truly be a test of your strength this year and you are right, if you don't like it, you can always move home. It's a great opportunity to change a LOT of lives and as you know from student teaching, these babies truly do need you and need your energy and excitement for teaching! It's normal to feel homesick! I have seen you change so much during student teaching and know in my heart that you are going to work wonders in your classroom this year! Even on bad days, just remember the difference you are making (think of NM and his complete 360 this year. That just shows that it is the TEACHER that makes the difference and YOU will be the one making those differences!) You know I'm here if you need anything or need to talk!

    Okay, my novel is over now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you for your kind words Caitlin! I really appreciate it!

      Delete